Knutsford Ordination Test School was opened in 1919 and was the vision of Rev P B "Tubby" Clayton, the founder of the Toc H movement of the Church of England. The purpose of the School was to educate men leaving the armed forces so that they could obtain the qualifications required to go to university and study for ordination. The first building occupied by the school was the disused Knutsford Gaol. In 1922 it was moved to Kilrie, a house in Knutsford, and in 1927 to the Old Rectory at Hawarden. In 1939 the Old Rectory was commandeered and the school moved to Hawarden Castle. It closed in 1940.
The Knutsford Fellowship was an association of former pupils of the Test School, and ran from 1920 to 1984.