Lodge Moor Hospital, Sheffield
This record is held by Sheffield City Archives
|Title:||Lodge Moor Hospital, Sheffield|
Establishment 1903 - 1965
NHS9/1/1/1 Staff register, 1936 - 1965
NHS9/1/2/1 Staff vaccination register, 1903 - 1931
NHS9/1/3/1 Nurse training certificate, 1912
Patients 1898 - 1984
NHS9/2/1 Admission registers, 1898 - 1984
NHS9/2/2/1 Observation ward admission register, 1931 - 1940
NHS9/2/3/1 Discharge register, 1931 - 1940
NHS9/2/4/1 Record of operations, 1935 - 1947
NHS9/2/5 Registers of operations, 1938 - 1974
|Date:||1898 - 1984|
Sheffield Borough/City Council Health Committee minutes, 1849 - 1973: these include summaries of Medical Officer of Health monthly reports to 1967, with statistics of infectious and notifiable diseases (CA112/1-37)
Sheffield Borough/City Council Hospitals Committee minutes, 1881 - 1927 (CA113/1-8)
Sheffield Borough/City Council Hospitals Committee draft minutes, 1881 - 1927 (CA166/1-20)
Sheffield Public Health Department: minutes of committees and subcommittees, papers and plans relating to extensions to Lodge Moor Hospital, proposed smallpox hospital on Crimicar Lane, and Dart Square isolation houses near Winter Street Hospital, 1887 - 1958 (CA39/1-128)
Letters referring to outbreak of smallpox in Sheffield, 1887 - 1888 (Bram/54/7-27)
Papers re Provisional Order (1902) to alter Sheffield Corporation Act (1883) relating to provision of nurses to attend persons suffering from infectious diseases, 1901 - 1903 (CA607)
Proofs of evidence relating to causes of high mortality in Sheffield, sanitary regulations, notification of tuberculosis, prevalence of typhoid fever, etc, 1901 - 1903 (CA608/69-85)
Lodge Moor and Crimicar Lane Hospitals: register of military admissions and discharges 1914 - 1919 (NHS37, previously SY641/H5/7)
Notebooks of Violet Helliwell, trainee nurse at Lodge Moor Hospital, 1929 - 1941 (2002/51: MD7564)
Plans of extensions to hospital, 1935 - 1954 (CA206/24997)
Analysis of admissions of infectious diseases cases, 1941 - 1943; statistical reports of infectious diseases, 1936-1948 (NHS26)
Lodge Moor Hospital (Winter St and Crimicar Lane): register of military sick cases 1939 - 1942 (NHS37 previously SY641/H5/8); other papers 1944-1952 (NHS37 previously SY641/H5/9-11)
|Held by:||Sheffield City Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||71 items|
Information in staff and patient records may be subject to access restrictions under the Data Protection Act, or may be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. For further information please refer to a member of staff.
& apos;Record of Municipal Affairs in Sheffield 1843 to 1893& apos;, by JM Furness, 1893 (Sheffield Archives LOCAL FUR)
& apos;Hospital Survey: Sheffield and East Midlands area& apos;, Ministry of Health, 1945 (Sheffield Local Studies 362 SQ)
& apos;The Hospital on the Moor: the Spinal Injuries Unit at Lodge Moor& apos; by Ella Goddard (Sheffield Local Studies 362.11 S)
& apos;Lodge Moor Hospital 1887 - 1987: centenary brochure& apos; 1987 (Sheffield Local Studies 362.11 S)
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Lodge Moor Hospital, Redmires Road: opened 1888, closed 1994
Erected as an isolation hospital during Sheffield& apos;s smallpox epidemic in 1887-1888, Lodge Moor Hospital on Redmires Road was opened in 1888. It had twelve temporary wooden buildings to hold 156 patients, under the ministrations of a resident Medical Officer. Extensive more permanent additions were made in 1902-1904, including an isolation block and six large single-storey pavilions. Further extensions were added in 1917 and by the 1920s the hospital could accommodate 434 patients with infectious diseases, mainly with scarlet fever or diphtheria. During the 1925 smallpox epidemic further accommodation was made available at the former military camp at Redmires; Redmires Camp Hospital remained in use until c. 1935. Hallwood Smallpox Hospital was also adminstered from Lodge Moor Hospital.
In 1935 the old wooden huts were burned down under the supervision of the Fire Brigade and new, well-designed wards were built. By c.1940 it provided teaching for students in the University& apos;s Medical School. In 1950 it could accommodate 508 infectious diseases patients and more if need arose, with an additional 48 male tuberculosis patients. In 1953 three wards were converted to form a Paraplegic Unit and the following year the hospital took on the role of treating the spinal injuries (from road crashes and pit and factory accidents) for the whole of the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board area. On 9 December 1955 a United States Air Force jet aircraft crashed onto the hospital, killing one patient and injuring seven others. Two single storey cubicle blocks and a corridor were severely damaged. Further tuberculosis cubicles were provided in 1956-1957. This led led to the closure of Sheffield& apos;s Commonside Sanatorium and the transfer to Lodge Moor in 1959 of the tuberculous patients from Nether Edge Hospital.
By 1987 besides having beds for infectious diseases and spinal injuries, the hospital provided paediatrics, general and chest medicine, general surgery and urology, hospital and home renal dialysis, neuromedicine and neurosurgery, services for the elderly including a Day Hospital, and a sports hall for the disabled.
Despite public and staff opposition, it closed in September 1994 following Sheffield Health Authority& apos;s decision to centralise most of its services: infectious diseases were moved to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the chest and spinal injuries units were moved to the Northern General Hospital. Some buildings were used as a conference and training centre; the main building remains, converted into private/residential accommodation.
Administration: The hospital was established under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1875, and was originally administered by nine members of Sheffield Council forming the Hospitals Committee, which became a sub-committee of the Health Committee in 1927. At the establishment of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948, it fell under the Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board. After the reorganisation of the NHS in 1974 the management of Lodge Moor Hospital came to the newly created Central (Teaching) District of Sheffield Area Health Authority (Teaching), within Trent Regional Health Authority. Following a redistricting exercise in summer 1978 when the three districts (North, Central and South) were formed into two, Lodge Moor Hospital was placed in the Northern District. Further reorganisation of the NHS followed in 1982, resulting in the abolition of the Area Health Authority and amalgamation the Sheffield health districts into Sheffield Health Authority which then assumed management of the hospital.