A grammmar school was founded in Knutsford in or before the reign of Henry VIII. The Legh family had the right of appointment of the master.
By the eighteenth century the school was considered to be the responsibility of the parish constables. In 1741 the old building was demolished and a new one built in 1744.
Despite a new scheme in 1856, financial and accommodation problems increased and the school closed temporarily in 1879-80. Another scheme in 1885 established eight governors and new buildings were constructed two years later.
Further financial problems closed the school in 1910. From 1911 the charity and its endowments were administered as the Nether Knutsford Exhibition Foundation. The latter awarded grants to enable local children to attend a grammar school at Northwich or Altrincham.
The scheme was amended in 1957 and the name changed to the Nether Knutsford Educational Foundation. Grants were made only for ex-pupils or residents of Nether Knutsford for the purposes of their education.