Deposited by East Surrey District Health Authority under the 1958 Public Records Act between June 1983 and May 1984.
Selections from the early records and notes of the hospital's history have been published as Charlwood and Horley Cottage Hospital, a selection from the annals, compiled by Jean Shelley, Joyce Lucas and Dr AGT Brown, and printed with the help of the Charlwood Society in 1984.
Administrative / biographical background:
Charlwood Hospital was opened in January 1873, purpose-built by Thomas Burningham, rector of Charlwood, 1855-1883, on ground provided by Mr H C Wise, patron of the living. The Hospital, 'designed for the accommodation of the poor of Charlwood, Horley and neighbourhood when suffering from accident or disease, which is not infectious or hopelessly chronic' (see 2885/1/1 below: rules), was supported by voluntary contributions, and run by a committee, whose lady members had the duty of visiting the hospital (see 2885/1/2 below).
In 1902 the hospital was removed to Horley, to premises which had briefly been a temperance hotel. Until 1935, the committee also provided the district nurses for the area. The building was extended in 1938-1940, and continued as a voluntary hospital until 1948, when, under the terms of the National Health Act 1947, it was transferred to the National Health Service, and became part of the Redhill, later Redhill and Netherne, Group of Hospitals. The house committee established in 1948 continued to serve until 1968, when its responsibilities were transferred to the Management Committee based at Redhill General Hospital, and afterwards to the Community Health Council.