With the exception of RGC/23 they were transferred to the City Record Office on 14 May 1974 from the Treasurer's Department of Chester Rural District Council, 57 City Road, Chester. RGC/23 was transferred from the Cheshire Record Office on 31 March 1974 with the records of Tarvin Rural District Council.
Administrative / biographical background:
Chester Poor Law Union was formed in 1869 following the Act of 1868. Originally the union comprised only the nine parishes in Chester, but in 1870 - 1871 it was enlarged to include the townships of Abbey Precincts, Great Boughton and Spittle Boughton together with thirty townships from Great Boughton Poor Law Union and thirteen townships from Hawarden Poor Law Union. It was abolished following the Local Government Act of 1929 which transferred the functions of the poor law guardians to county and county borough councils working through public assistance committees.