Records of church from its beginnings in Newport Street and Victoria Street until its present location in Uphan Road. Also various papers, magazines, reports minute and year books relating to Penhill Free Church, Moredon chapel, Swindon and District and Wiltshire and East Somerset congregational unions.
The first Congregational chapel in Swindon in Newport Street was opened in 1804. By 1840 the chapel had become too small, but a new chapel was not built until 1866 on the corner of Bath Road and Victoria Street. Road-widening schemes in the 1930s forced the closure of the Victoria Street chapel in 1939. A new chapel was built to replace it in Upham Road in 1938-9. It became the United Reformed Church in 1972.