Catalogue description PEVENSEY ROAD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, EASTBOURNE

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of NC/15
Reference: NC/15
Title: PEVENSEY ROAD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, EASTBOURNE
Description:

NC/15/1 Church book and church meeting minutes, 1861-1973

 

NC/15/2 Deacon's meeting minutes, 1914-1973

 

NC/15/3 Finance committee minutes, 1913-19

 

NC/15/4 Baptism and Marriage registers, 1874-1972

 

NC/15/5 Membership records, 1930-1960

 

NC/15/6 Other membership records, 1931-1973

 

NC/15/7 Trustees papers, 1863-1960

 

NC/15/8-15 Other records, 1887-1950

Related material:

For church newsletter The Eastbourne Congregational Monthly, 1934-1939, see NC/16/19/1. For minutes of the London Missionary Society (Eastbourne Auxiliary), 1933-1946, see NC/16/23/1

Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Pevensey Road Congregational Church, Eastbourne

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by Rev Gwyn Filby, Minister of Upperton United Reformed Church on 11 Nov 1982 (ACC 2925). Marriage registers deposited by United Reformed Church, London, on 4 Dec 1998 (ACC 7795)

Administrative / biographical background:

The church was founded in May 1861 after a small group urged a committee of the Sussex Home Missionary Society to consider the need for a congregational church in Eastbourne, especially during the summer visiting season. The congregation started to meet in the Assembly Room, Eastbourne, and appointed their first minster, Rev Albert Foyster, to start on 5 January 1862

 

Land for a permanent chapel, school room and manse was obtained on the corner of North Street and Pevensey Road in 1862. The foundation stone was laid on 28 August 1862 and the chapel opened for public worship on the 23 June 1863. By Dec 1863 the school room had been completed. Alterations to the school room and manse were carried out in 1884; for records see NC/15/7/7-13

 

In 1868 Rev Foyster left the church to become pastor at Lewes Road United Reformed Church, Brighton, and Rev William Griffth was appointed in June 1868 to continue the work

 

The church established branch Mission churches at Friday Street, Polegate and Wilmington and an affiliated church at Alfriston. In 1973 the church was closed, and the building was demolished in 1977

 

For a full account of the founding of the church in 1861 see NC/15/1/1

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research