Catalogue description ARCHIVE OF THE ROBERTS FAMILY OF BOARZELL IN TICEHURST AND STONEHOUSE IN WARBLETON AND THE DUNN FAMILY OF STONEHOUSE

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of DUN
Reference: DUN
Title: ARCHIVE OF THE ROBERTS FAMILY OF BOARZELL IN TICEHURST AND STONEHOUSE IN WARBLETON AND THE DUNN FAMILY OF STONEHOUSE
Date: 1288-1891
Arrangement:

Title deeds: Roberts family

 

DUN 1 Deeds of the Manor of Boarzell and land (140a) in Ticehurst and Etchingham; 1363-1841

 

DUN 2 Deeds of a capital messuage called Dalehill and land (160a) in Ticehurst; 1350-1684

 

DUN 3 Deeds of a messuage at Flimwell in Ticehurst and land at Quarhill in Goudhurst, Kent; 1358-1758

 

DUN 4 Grants and assignments of waste in Ticehurst; 1611-1783

 

DUN 5 Deeds of small properties in Ticehurst and Etchingham; 1335-1729

 

DUN 6 Deeds of a messuage and lands (43a) called Tombeckworth in Warbleton; 1542-1807

 

DUN 7 Deeds of a messuage and lands called Trottnells at Collards Green in Warbleton; 1588-1723

 

DUN 8 Deeds of a messuage and lands called Pollard, Lilly Town, Groves, Kitmore and Sketterweed in Warbleton; 1562-1734

 

DUN 9 Deeds of land called Coxdown (12a) in Warbleton and Cheyney Marsh (7½a) in Pevensey and Herstmonceux; 1606-1719

 

DUN 10 Deeds of waste land called Hales Down (12a) in Warbleton; 1606-1750

 

DUN 11 Deeds of a cottage and land (3a) near Rushlake Green in Warbleton; 1619-1724

 

DUN 12 Deeds of a messuage called Stonehouse and land (140a) in Warbleton; 1692-1810

 

DUN 13 Deeds of various properties in Warbleton; 1610-1796

 

DUN 14 Deeds of various properties in Etchingham, Essex, Battle, Hailsham and Kent; 1529-1740

 

Title deeds: Alfrey family

 

DUN 15 Deeds of the Manor of Glyne and lands (150a) in Bexhill; 1609-1808

 

DUN 16 Deeds of Sanders and Highwood (112a) at Barnhorne in Bexhill; 1427-1724

 

DUN 17 Deeds of Great Broad Oak, Little Broad Oak and Milldowne (91a) in Bexhill; 1549-1813

 

DUN 18 Deeds of Nutbrownes, Blackfields, Poll Eyes and Whitedown (150a) at Barnhorne in Bexhill; 1653-1710

 

DUN 19 Deeds of various properties in Ninfield and Bexhill; 1404-1752

 

Title deeds: Fowle family

 

DUN 20 Deeds of Swiftsden, Dennetts and Swanfield (60a) in Salehurst; 1401-1745

 

DUN 21 Cartulary and deeds of the Manor of Iridge and Iridge Place in Salehurst; 1557-1690

 

DUN 22 Deeds of various properties including the Manor of Salehurst, the Manor of Wigsell, Wickham and Jollies Farm, the Kings Head at Hurst Green all in Salehurst; 1454-1693

 

DUN 23 Deeds of the Manor of Lewisham, the Manor of Forest Place or Brockley Farm in Lewisham, Kent, the Manor of Withdean Keyliffe in Lewes, Patcham, Ovingdean, Iford, Newhaven and Wivelsfield; 1618-1657

 

DUN 24 Deeds of a messuage called Ringle Crouch and lands in Sandhurst, Kent; 1626-1629

 

DUN 25 Deeds of various properties on the denn of Osenden in Sandhurst, Kent; 1288-1532

 

DUN 26 Deeds of various properties in Westfield, Brede, Battle, Guestling, Bodiam and Sandhurst in Kent; 1441-1680

 

Title deeds: Farnden family

 

DUN 27 Deeds of the Manor of Crowham, Crowham forge, Conster forge and furnace in Brede; 1632-1697

 

DUN 28 Deeds of Crockhurst and Milkhouse in Northiam; 1587-1723

 

DUN 29 Deeds of the Manor of Crowhurst and Crowhurst forge in Crowhurst, various properties in Westfield, Bodiam, Sedlescombe and East Guldeford; 1627-1679

 

Title deeds: Peckham family

 

DUN 30 Deeds of marshland in Peasmarsh; 1569-1753

 

DUN 31 Deeds of Rootes Marsh in Pevensey; 1635-1723

 

DUN 32 Deeds of the Manor of Kassingham in Rolvenden and Sandhurst, Kent; 1670-1683

 

DUN 33 Deeds of a messuage called Cherfords and land (50a) in Benenden and Rolvenden, Kent; 1642-1721

 

DUN 34 Deeds of various properties in Hailsham and Pevensey, Wadhurst and Burwash, Benenden in Kent; 1612-1724

 

Title deeds not apparently connected with the estate

 

DUN 35 Deeds of various properties in New Shoreham and Beeding; 1425-1801

 

DUN 36 Deeds of various properties in Herstmonceux, Etchingham, Bulverhythe, Ticehurst, Winchelsea, Hastings, Fairlight, Pevensey, Dallington, Brightling, Battle, Ewhurst, East Guldeford, Selmeston, Wadhurst, Burwash, Buxted, Salehurst, Brighton and Bexhill; Pembury, Rolvenden, Benenden, Sandhurst, Goudhurst, St Laurence and Minster Thanet, Wingham, Hawkhurst, Newenden, Charing, Little Chart, Westwell and Monks Horton in Kent, Fleet Street and Wandsworth and Hopsford and Withybrook, Warwickshire; 1370-1801

 

Accounts

 

DUN 37 General accounts; 1563-1823

 

DUN 38 Special accounts; 1678-1891

 

DUN 39 Vouchers; 1633-1812

 

Estate papers

 

DUN 40 Quitclaims; 1429-1695

 

DUN 41 Bonds; 1548-1733

 

DUN 42 Agreements; 1627-1754

 

DUN 43 Legal papers; 1688-1744

 

DUN 44 Maps; c 1640-1851

 

DUN 45 Other papers; 1415-1863

 

Business: iron industry

 

DUN 46 Agreements; 1644-1715

 

DUN 47 Accounts; 1653-1682

 

Personal

 

DUN 48 Marriage settlements; 1553-1710

 

DUN 49 Testamentary papers; 1494-1746

 

DUN 50 Accounts, legacy receipts and vouchers; 1569-1811

 

DUN 51 Correspondence of the Roberts family, the Temple family, the Busbridge family, the Farnden family and other correspondence; 1626-c1810

 

DUN 52 Personal papers of the Roberts family; 1538-c1830

 

DUN 53 Personal papers of the Alfrey family; 1675-1730

 

DUN 54 Personal papers of the Fowle family; 1332-1689

 

DUN 55 Printed material and ephemera; 1751-1820

Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Roberts family of Boarzell, Ticehurst and Stone House, Warbleton

Dunn family of Stonehouse, East Sussex

Physical description: 55 series
Subjects:
  • East Sussex
Administrative / biographical background:

The Roberts and Dunn families

 

John Roberts of Glassenbury in Cranbrook, Kent, established the family's Sussex estates with the purchase of Boarzell in Ticehurst in 1459. The original holding in Ticehurst was subsequently augmented, and the mansions of Warbleton Priory, Stonehouse in Warbleton and Dalehill in Ticehurst purchased in c1613, 1629 and 1639 respectively. The estates descended in the family until 1839 when, on the death of John Roberts, they passed to John Henry Dunn, receiver-general of Upper Canada, since 1835 widower of John's sister Charlotte.

 

Boarzell was demolished in 1859 when Stonehouse, which had served as the residence of branches of the family in the 18th century, became the seat of John Roberts Dunn, the residence of whose direct descendants it remains.

 

Although the wealth of the Roberts family was founded in the cloth-trade - the purchaser of Boarzell was originally described as a draper in the conveyance, subsequently amended to esquire - his son Walter was firmly established among the ranks of the office-holding gentry by 1488, when he served as sheriff of Kent.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research