These papers consist of 120 volumes, files and objects
Administrative / biographical background:
The Institution of Locomotive Engineers was founded as an independent engineering learned society and professional body in 1911. Its purpose was 'the dissemination of information concerning locomotive engineering and its allied sciences...' The organisation continued in this role until 1969, when it merged with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (founded 1847). Members of the Institution of Locomotive Engineers (MILocoE) became Members of the Mechanicals' at various grades as part of the transfer.
The organisation as a whole was integrated into the Institution of Mechanical Engineers as its Railway Division and this is reflected in the administrative records listed here. Many sequences of committee minutes, for example, continue as IMechE Divisional records.