The minute books of the voluntary hospital were deposited by the administrator of the VCH (Surgical Unit) in March and April 1979; most of the remaining records were deposited by the Divisional Administrator, Mr. Constable, in June 1983. Accns. 702, 706, 1044, 1049 1091 1309, 1326
Administrative / biographical background:
The hospital to which most of these records relate was the VCH (Surgical Unit) in Liscard Road. This was the original "Victoria Central Hosptal." It was opened in 1901 both to supersede the smaller Seacombe Cottage Hospital in Demesne Street (1869 - 1900) and to house the Wallasey Dispensary, and it was run as a voluntary hospital until 1948, when it came under the control of the North Wirral HMC. It was then combined for administrative purposes with the Wallasey CBC Infectious Diseases Hospital and Chest Clinic in Mill Lane (opened in 1885). These buildings became known as the VCH (Medical Unit). The VCH (Surgical Unit) was closed in 1982 as a result of the opening of Arrowe Park Hospital, but the Mill Lane buildings remain in use as an accident unit and divisional headquarters.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know