WATFORD METHODIST CIRCUIT

This record is held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Details of NM7
Reference: NM7
Title: WATFORD METHODIST CIRCUIT
Date: 1828-1987
Related material:

Hertfordshire Methodist Chapels

 

Alphabetical list of chapels for which records have been received in the Record Office

 

ALDENHAM NM7P

 

ARKESDEN (Essex) NM9B

 

ARLESEY Christchurch NM4D

 

St John NM4N

 

ASHWELL NM11C

 

BALDOCK NM4U

 

BARNET EAST Brookside NM1C

 

BARNET HIGH NM1A

 

BARNET NEW NM1B

 

BENINGTON NM4E

 

BERDEN (Essex) NM9C

 

BERKHAMSTED Cowper Road NM3C

 

High Street NM3E

 

BIGGLESWADE (Bedfordshire) NM11A

 

BISHOP'S STORTFORD NM9A

 

BOREHAMWOOD NM1F

 

BOXMOOR NM3H

 

BURNT MILL (Essex) NM9D

 

BUSHEY HEATH NM7N

 

BUSHEY AND OXHEY NM7Q

 

CHESHUNT NM10D

 

CHORLEY WOOD NM7L

 

CROXLEY GREEN NM7M

 

CUPID GREEN (Hemel Hempstead) NM7H

 

DASSELLS (Braughing) NM9G

 

FLAMSTEAD NM2G

 

Trowley Bottom NM2K

 

GADDESDEN ROW NM2J

 

GRAVELEY NM4F

 

HARPENDEN High Street NM2B

 

Batford NM2D

 

Southdown Road NM2C

 

Kinsbourne Green NM2A

 

HATFIELD Birchwood NM5E

 

Broadway NM5D

 

Oxlease NM5F

 

HEMEL HEMPSTEAD Marlowes NM3B

 

Lower Marlow NM3D

 

Wesley NM3F

 

Bourne NM3H

 

Cupid Green NM7H

 

HENLOW (Bedfordshire) NM4V

 

HERTFORD NM10A

 

HINXWORTH NM11B

 

HITCHIN Brand Street NM4A

 

Nightingale Road NM4B

 

Christchurch NM4C

 

Walsworth NM4L

 

ICKLEFORD NM4G

 

KIMPTON NM2F

 

KINSBOURNE GREEN (Harpenden) NM2A

 

KNEBWORTH NM8A

 

LANGLEY, ABBOTS NM7C

 

LANGLEY, KINGS NM7G

 

LETCHWORTH Broadway NM4P

 

Central NM4Q

 

North Avenue NM4R

 

LEY HILL (Buckinghamshire) NM3K

 

MARKYATE NM2H

 

NASH MILLS NM3G

 

OFFLEY NM4H

 

PEGSDON NM4I

 

PELHAM, FURNEUX NM9H

 

PIRTON NM4J

 

POTTERS BAR NM1D

 

RADLETT NM1E

 

REDBOURN NM5G

 

RICKMANSWORTH High Street NM7E

 

Mill End NM7F

 

SAFFRON WALDEN (Essex) NM9F

 

ST ALBANS Boundary Road NM5B

 

Marlborough Road NM5A

 

Hatfield Road NM5J

 

SEWARDSTONE (Essex) NM10E

 

SHEERING (Essex) NM9E

 

SHENLEY NM5H

 

SLEAPSHYDE NM5C

 

STEVENAGE Old Town NM6A

 

Chells NM6B

 

Broadwater NM6C

 

STOTFOLD (Befordshire) Brook Street NM4S

 

High Street NM4T

 

STUDHAM (Bedfordshire) NM2L

 

TRING Langdon Street NM3J

 

TROWLEY BOTTOM (Flamstead) NM2K

 

TWO WATERS NM3A

 

WALKERN NM4K

 

WALSWORTH (Hitchin) NM4L

 

WALTHAM ABBEY (Essex) NM10F

 

WARE NM10B

 

WARESIDE NM10C

 

WATFORD North NM7B

 

Queen's Road NM7 & NM7J

 

St Albans Road NM7I

 

Vicarage Road NM7D

 

Whippendell Road NM7K

 

WELWYN Oaklands NM8B

 

WESTON NM4M

 

WHEATHAMPSTEAD The Mill NM5I

 

The Folly NM2E

 

WHETSTONE (Middlesex) NM1G

Held by: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Watford Methodist Circuit, Watford, Hertfordshire

Physical description: 490 files
Subjects:
  • Watford, Hertfordshire
  • Religion
Administrative / biographical background:

Introduction

 

Watford Primitive Methodist Circuit

 

Watford Primitive Methodists were worshipping in a room in Hedges Yard, High Street by 1840. A chapel was in use in Carey Place, Watford by 1865 [see NM7J]. The circuit also included chapels at Croxley Green [see NM7M], Letchmore Heath [see NM7P], Bushey [see NM7N], Redbourn [see NM5G] and St Albans. In 1877 the chapels at Redbourn and St Albans formed themselves into a separate Primitive Methodist circuit. For later details concerning chapels in these two places see NM5. By 1893 the Watford circuit included the chapels at St Albans Road and Queen's Road Watford, Bushey Heath, Croxley Green, Aldenham and Chorleywood. A further church in Whippendell Road, Watford was opened in 1903, [see NM7I-P]. For a short period from 1897 this circuit also included Northwood and Ruislip, Middlesex. In 1901 a separate Harrow Mission was formed and the Northwood and Ruislip churches were removed from the Watford plan.

 

On the union of the Methodist churches in 1933 the Primitive churches were constituted a separate circuit named Watford (No 2). Not until 1947 were the former Primitive and Wesleyan (Watford No 1 circuit) churches united as one circuit.

 

Watford Wesleyan Methodist Circuit

 

A Wesleyan Society was first formed in Watford in 1808. Services were held in the Market Place then later in a room in Hedges Yard, High Street. In 1813 Watford formed part of the Luton Circuit. Records of this Circuit are now held by Bedfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Bedford MK42 9AP. A chapel was erected in Water Lane in 1814 and a second chapel opened in 1838 in Farthing Lane. By this date Watford was included in the St Albans Circuit [see NM5]. The Farthing Lane chapel was closed in 1868 on the opening of the chapel in Queen's Road [see NM7A].

 

A separate Watford circuit was formed in 1872 and as well as Watford and Rickmansworth also included the societies at Pinner, Eastcote and Harefield in Middlesex transferred from the Uxbridge circuit. In 1904 this circuit was amalgamated with the Hemel Hempstead circuit to include Watford (churches now existed in Queen's Road, Vicarage Road and St Albans Road, Watford and Villiers Road, New Bushey), Rickmansworth, Harefield, Pinner, Eastcote, Heronsgate, Hemel Hempstead, Nash Mills, Two Waters, Berkhamsted, Kings Langley and Abbotts Langley. The section including Heronsgate, Northwood, Eastcote, Pinner, Harefield and Rickmansworth was transferred to the Harrow circuit in 1922.

 

On the union of the Methodist churches in 1933 the Watford Wesleyan churches remained as a separate circuit known as Watford (No 1) consisting of Queen's Road, Vicarage Road and Harebreaks (formerly known as St Albans Road) Watford, Bushey and Oxhey (formerly Villiers Road, New Bushey), Hemel Hempstead, Nash Mills, Two Waters, Berkhamsted, Cupid Green, Kings Langley and Abbotts Langley. The Watford Primitive churches St Albans Road and Whippendell Road, Watford, Bushey Heath, Croxley Green, Aldenham and Chorleywood forming Watford (No 2) circuit. Not until 1947 were the two circuits amalgamated, with the addition of Rickmansworth and Harefield from the Harrow circuit to form a new Watford circuit.

 

The Hemel Hempstead and Berkhamsted circuit was formed in 1957 and the following chapels from the Watford circuit were transferred to it: Hemel Hempstead (Marlowes and Wesley), Two Waters, Boxmoor (opened 1953) and Nash Mills [see NM3].

 

The church at Springwell Avenue, Mill End, Rickmansworth was transferred to the Watford circuit from Chalfont and Chesham in 1958. It was closed in 1964 on the opening of the new church in Berry Lane, Rickmansworth. Harefield was transferred to Uxbridge circuit in 1958. The church at Cupid Green was closed in 1955 and at Chorleywood in 1969. A church at Carpenders Park, Watford in Prestwick Road was opened in 1953 and Queen's Road, Watford closed in 1966.

 

The Watford circuit now includes the churches at Whippendell Road, Vicarage Road, Harebreaks and Carpenders Park, Watford, Bushey and Oxhey, Bushey Heath, Rickmansworth (Berry Lane and High Street), Croxley Green, Abbotts Langley and Kings Langley.

 

The Watford circuit now forms part of the London North West District of the Methodist Church

Link to NRA Record:

Sharing will require cookies. Show details

 

Found an error?

If you find an error with this record description let us know

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion