Aerated Bread Company Ltd, 1862-1955, bakers, confectioners and light refreshment contractors
The records which survive were found in abandoned premises in Camden Road. Other records are known to have existed but were destroyed or damaged by flooding.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Aerated Bread Company Ltd. was incorporated in 1862 as bakers, confectioners and light refreshment contractors. The first bakery was in Islington until it moved at the turn of the century to Soho. A factory was built in Camden Road in 1930. By 1923 it had 150 branch shops in London and 250 tea rooms. The firm was taken over by Allied Bakeries Ltd in 1955 which became in turn a subsidiary of Associated British Foods Ltd. It is believed that it ceased trading in the early 1980's.