In 1807 the House of Commons approved a Standing Order relating to Turnpike Bills which required the deposit of Plans with Books of Reference with the Clerks of the Peace for all counties through which the Road was to go. This Order affected both proposed new Turnpike Roads and alterations in the line of an existing one. In 1837 a further Standing Order required duplicate Plans to be deposited.
The first Turnpike Road Trusts to be set up in Leicestershire were the Loughborough to Leicester and the Harborough to Leicester Trusts in 1726. These Trusts were followed by a number of others, so that by 1807 all the main Turnpike Trusts for the county had been set up. The series of deposited Turnpike Road Plans in the Quarter Sessions Records, therefore, are concerned only with deviations from existing road-lines, and short stretches of new road to link existing roads, or comparatively minor new Trusts.
The Plan with Book of Reference for the Hinckley to Narborough Road which was deposited in 1813 and was extant in 1871, is now missing but has been included in the list (No.QS71/7).