KENYON OF PEEL
This record is held by Lancashire Archives
|Title:||KENYON OF PEEL|
DDKE/1. Clerkship of the Peace
DDKE/2. Court of Quarter Sessions
DDKE/3. Shrievalty and assizes
DDKE/4. Lieutenancy and militia
DDKE/5. Duchy of Lancaster, including Blackburn hundred markets and fairs, and the Thieveley lead mines
DDKE/8. Lancashire Jacobite Plot
DDKE/11. Accounts, bills and receipts
DDKE/12. Bonds and letters of attorney
DDKE/13. Wills and inventories
DDKE/14. Surveys, rentals and plans
DDKE/17. Ashton-under-Lyne, Haughton and Openshaw
DDKE/20. Bedford tithes
DDKE/23. Burnley church and school
DDKE/28. Cuerden, Walton, Clayton and Farington
DDKE/29. Davyhulme and Barton
DDKE/30. Deane parish
DDKE/31. Denton, Heaton, Kenyon and Sharples
DDKE/38. Gorton, Droylsden, Openshaw, Salop, Cheshire and London
DDKE/42. Hulton, Little
DDKE/43. Little Hulton and Tyldesley
DDKE/44. Little Hulton and Worsley
DDKE/45. Hulton, Tyldesley, Worsley and Astley
DDKE/46. Hundersfield, Rochdale and Butterworth
DDKE/47. Ince-in-Makerfield, Aspull, and Hindley
DDKE/49. Great and Little Lever and Middleton
DDKE/51. Oldham, Crompton, Royton and Chadderton
DDKE/54. Preston (elections)
DDKE/62. Walkden Moor
DDKE/66. Wigan - election papers now with Lord Kenyon, 1981.
DDKE/68. Various townships (single documents only)
DDKE/69. Rigby estates in Lancashire and Wales
DDKE/75. Cheshire and Flint
DDKE/80. Isle of Man
DDKE/81. Religion, miscellaneous
DDKE/82. General miscellaneous
|Date:||1589 - 1780|
Printed sources:- Historical Manuscripts Commission 14th Report, Appendix, Part IV.
"Kenyon v. Rigby: The struggle for the Clerkship of the Peace in Lancashire in the seventeenth century", by J.J. Bagley, M.A., Transactions of Historic Society of Lancashire & Cheshire, volume 106.
The Thieveley Lead Mines 1629-1635, edited by R. Sharpe France, M.A., Lancashire & Cheshire Record Society, volume 102.
|Held by:||Lancashire Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||82 SUB FONDS|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Deposited by the Right Honourable the Lord Kenyon, 5th Baron of Gredington, near Whitchurch, Shropshire, in August 1951.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Lord Kenyon's ancestors - the Rigbys and Kenyons of Peel Hall in Little Hulton - were in effect hereditary Clerks of the Peace for Lancashire, between 1589 and 1780.
From 1589 to 1663 the Lancashire clerkship of the peace was in the hands of the Rigbys, passing in the latter year to Roger Kenyon of Parkhead in Whalley, who had married Alice, the daughter of George Rigby of Peel in Little Hulton. That property, later known as Kenyon Peel Hall, descended to the present Lord Kenyon. Roger Kenyon was governor of the Isle of Man, M.P. for Clitheroe, and receiver-general of the Duchy of Lancaster. Lloyd Kenyon, Lord Chief Justice, was created Baron Kenyon of Gredington in 1788.
It should be stated that the present collection is additional to that published by the Historical Manuscripts Commission in its 14th Report, Appendix IV.
|Link to NRA Record:|