This record is held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Details of NR15
Reference: NR15

The United Reformed Church was founded in October 1972 by union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England. However not all the churches belonging to these two denominations agreed to accept the 1972 Scheme of Union. The records of those Hertfordshire churches which remained separate are catalogued under the reference NC.




1 Church Books


2 Church Meeting


3 Deacons


4 Registers


5 Church Committees and Organizations


6 Church Finance


7 Church Property


8 Sunday School


10 Membership


12 Church Magazines


13 Miscellaneous




NR1 Barnet, Wood Street United Reformed Church


NR2 Bushey United Reformed Church


NR3 Barley United Reformed Church


NR4 St Albans, Trinity United Reformed Church


NR5 Letchworth Free Church


NR6 Ware United Reformed Church


NR7 Royston United Reformed Church


NR8 Hitchin United Reformed Church


NR9 Radlett United Reformed Church


NR10 Wheathampstead United Reformed Church


NR11 Hemel Hempstead, Adeyfield Free Church (affiliated to the United Reformed Church


NR12 Bishops Stortford United Reformed Church


NR13 Harpenden United Reformed Church


NR14 Hertford United Reformed Church


NR15 New Barnet United Reformed Church


NR16 Knebworth United Reformed Church

Date: 1869-1968
Related material:

For Walkern United Reformed Church see D/EX838

Held by: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

New Barnet United Reformed Church, New Barnet Hertfordshire

New Barnet Congregational Church, New Barnet, Hertfordshire

Physical description: 169 files
Immediate source of acquisition:

Records concerning New Barnet United Reformed Church deposited in The Record Office on 15 August 1977 by the Church Secretary.


Accession 1596

  • New Barnet, Hertfordshire
  • Religion
Administrative / biographical background:



New Barnet Congregational Church was formed in 1869 (see NR15/2/7) and the chapel was built in 1870 (see NR15/7/1), with 440 sittings. The church also possessed a Congregational Hall in Station Rd. A Congregational School was formed in 1872 and in the same year the first trust deed for the church was created.


Plantagenet Hall, which was used for all kinds of activities, including music and dancing was built in 1909 to plans by Alfred Conder ARIBA (see NR15/7/9).


The church was altered on several occasions. In 1963 the Congregational Church merged with St Augustine's Presbyterian Church of England Church. This church had been formed in 1874 in Somerset Rd with 280 sittings.


The church then became known as St Johns and moved to new premises built in 1967 on Somerset Rd and Plantagenet Rd. The building had been designed in 1964 by J. Finlayson and I. Langlands.


In 1972 St John's Church became known as St John's United Reformed Church and continued to meet in the buildings in Somerset Rd.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research