The Halstead Gas Company was formed in 1835 and a works built in Rosemary Lane under the direction of R.E. Greenwood. The company became incorporated in 1879. A controlling interest in the company was obtained by the British Gas Light Company in 1930; in 1938 the works were closed down and gas supplied in bulk from Braintree. On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking became part of the Chelmsford Group of the Ipswich Division of EGB.