Title deeds of the High Cannons Estate, Shenley and Ridge, 1534-1912
The earlier title deeds of High Cannons a mansion and estate of 800 acres at Shenley & Ridge in the Hertfordshire Green Belt acquired by the County council.
Small purchases bring in the title of Shenley Hill (DE/HCC/27570) and Salisbury Hall, Shenley (DE/HCC/27489) as well as The Grove, Watford (DE/HCC/27523) and Tyttenhanger, Ridge. It is interesting to see the close association of this area with the early private bankers
The nucleus of the estate, the manor of Holmes alias Cannons, belonged to the former monastic foundation of St Bartholomews, Smithfield and the collection begins with a copy of the Crown grant to John Alwey and his syndics in 1543 (DE/HCC/27433) An heiress carried High Cannons to her husband, Edward Wingate, who bought out her sisters. In 1653 he moved to Lockleys and sold out to a Citizen and Cutler of London (DE/HCC/27442) from which date the estate changed hands frequently until its purchase in 1813 by Enoch Durant (DE/HCC/27461) It was bought from his heirs and successors the Burdett - Coutts family in 1888 from whose representatives the County Council purchased it