Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes and Supreme Court of Judicature, High Court of Justice, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division: Principal Probate Registry: Indexes to Divorce and Matrimonial Causes Files
The indexes in this series give summary details of divorce and matrimonial causes files raised in the Principal Probate Registry for the years 1858 to 1945 and 1950 to 1958. Cases are entered under the first letter of the petitioner's name and indicate the year of registration and the file number given to the papers in the action concerned.
No indexes survive for the years 1946 to 1948. However, brief details of petitions received during that time are recorded in the Divorce Receipt Books also in this series.
From 1906 the numbers have the following lettered prefixes indicating the type of case concerned:
- HD: Petition by husband for decree of divorce
- WD: Petition by wife for decree of divorce
- HN: Petition by husband for decree of nullity
- WN: Petition by wife for decree of nullity
- HJS: Petition by husband for decree of judicial separation
- WJS: Petition by wife for decree of judicial separation
- HRCR: Petition by husband for decree of restitution of conjugal rights
- WRCR: Petition by wife for decree of restitution of conjugal rights
- Legit: Petition for declaration of legitimacy
- Div Ct: Appeal to Divisional Court from Justices
- Prot: Application for order for protection of wife's earnings and property
Supreme Court of Judicature, Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division, 1875-1970
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have tagged this record with...
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- J Records of the Supreme Court of Judicature and related courts
- Records of the Family Division and predecessors
- J 78 Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes and Supreme Court of Judicature, High Court of...