Government Code and Cypher School: Signals Intelligence Passed to the Prime Minister, Messages and Correspondence
This series contains summaries of selected signals intelligence reports, issued by the Government Code and Cypher School and sent by the head of M16 ("C") to the Prime Minister (or, in his absence, the Deputy Prime Minister or the Lord Privy Seal) in batches several times each day during the Second World War (using the code name BONIFACE), with associated correspondence.
The documents comprise the original cover notes and actual documents passed on, complete with annotations and minuting.
Each file usually has three main elements, in addition to the cover note from the head of the Secret Intelligence Service and included associated correspondence and some intelligence reports from other sources:
- Items CX/FJ, CX/JQ or CX/MSS: reports relating to enemy ground and air forces in Europe and derived from high grade cyphers such as ENIGMA;
- Naval headlines: summaries of Spanish, German and Italian naval activity;
- BJ reports: selected translations of intercepted diplomatic telegrams.
Cover sheets were given serial numbers which start at C6112 (HW 1/3) and end at C9995 (HW 1/715). Serial numbers are not consecutive and restart at number one (HW 1/716). Intervening serial numbers were allocated to different series by the Secret Intelligence Service and do not form part of the Dir/C Archive.
Cross references in the list refer to the former reference not to the HW 1 series reference unless otherwise stated.
During the Second World War there was a great expansion of signal intelligence demand especially by the services, which led to the Prime Minister being sent daily summaries of selected ENIGMA messages.
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have not yet tagged this record
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- HW Records created or inherited by Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ)
- General records of the Government Code and Cypher School
- HW 1 Government Code and Cypher School: Signals Intelligence Passed to the Prime Minister,...