Committee on Adult Education (Russell Committee): Minutes, Papers and Report
Agendas, minutes, papers of and written and oral evidence submitted to the Committee on Adult Education, together with sub-committee minutes and papers of the report of the committee Adult Education: a Plan for Development HMSO 1973.
The Committee on Adult Education was set up in February 1969 by the Secretary of State,and chaired by Sir Lionel Russell, CBE. Its terms of reference were:
- to assess the need for and to review the provision of non-vocational adult education in England and Wales;
- to consider the appropriateness of existing educational, administrative and financial policies; and
- to make recommendations with a view to obtaining the most effective and economical deployment of available resources to enable adult education to make its proper contribution to the national system of education conceived of as a process continuing through life.
The first meeting was held 24 March 1969 and the last on 5 December 1972. The report was published in March 1973.
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have not yet tagged this record
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- ED Records created or inherited by the Department of Education and Science, and of related...
- Records of Educational Councils, Committees, and Working Parties, etc
- ED 175 Committee on Adult Education (Russell Committee): Minutes, Papers and Report