Admiralty and Ministry of Defence: Royal Marine Office: Correspondence and Papers
A very varied collection of entry books, registers, note-books, papers and collections of statistics, the main groups being as follows:
- Entry books of correspondence with the Divisions and Barracks, and correspondence and circulars from the Inspector General of Marines, 1831 to 1899.
- Registers and note-books of correspondence, commissions, administrative memoranda, promotions, regulations and orders, and volumes containing notes on the Special Services Brigade, the Royal Fleet Reserve, and on Divisional amalgamations, 1821 to 1923.
- Twenty volumes of bound up correspondence, on various topics, including establishment matters, medals, pay, savings bank, Portsmouth Garrison, the Royal Marine Artillery, Royal Marine Reserve, Greenwich Hospital Pensions and Prisons, 1798 to 1908.
- Eleven volumes of papers, 1840 to 1902, concerning the Ashanti, China, Esquimault, Japan and Suakin battalions.
- Twenty 'Statistical Packets', 1761 to 1924, mostly concerning establishment matters, promotion and returns of numbers.
- Twenty-seven papers of returns of the State of the Corps, 1869 to 1928.
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have tagged this record with...
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- ADM Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
- Records of Royal Marines
- ADM 201 Admiralty and Ministry of Defence: Royal Marine Office: Correspondence and Papers